Keeping your home's electrical system in good condition is important to ensure both convenience and safety in your home. Unfortunately, a lot of homeowners overlook electric system maintenance and have to deal with the resulting inconveniences and hazards.
You need to properly maintain your electric system to avoid power outages and electrical fires. The following are five maintenance mistakes you need to avoid to keep your home electrical system in the best possible condition.
1. Continuing to Use an Old Service Panel
The older your home is, the more important it is to upgrade your electrical equipment. If you're living in an older home, you should know that older electrical service panels were not designed to support all the electrical appliances used in a modern home.
You'll experience blown fuses and other issues that can create fire hazards more often if you've never updated the service panel in your older home. Have a qualified electrician inspect your service panel and make any recommended upgrades to avoid problems.
2. Leaving Old Wiring in Place
A home service panel is not the only part of the electrical system of an older property that needs to be updated. You also need to update wiring because it can deteriorate over time.
You should have your wiring inspected occasionally to see if it's frayed or burnt in places. One of the most common signs of outdated and out-of-shape wiring in a home is outlet covers that tend to get hot when the outlet is in use.
Have old wiring replaced as soon as your electrician recommends it to avoid fire hazards while also protecting your appliances from electrical damage.
3. Allowing Pest Infestations to Cause Wire Damage
Unfortunately, pests tend to be attracted to wires and may chew on them. If protective coverings are chewed off wires, wires may no longer efficiently carry electrical current to power devices in the home. Also, sparks and dangerous heat levels can come out of wires that are not properly protected by rubber or plastic coverings.
Avoid pest infestations through regular exterminator visits. If you notice an infestation, address it immediately to prevent damage to your home's wiring.
4. Being Unaware of Outlet Limitations
You should be aware of what voltage your individual outlets are capable of safely supplying to appliances that are plugged in. Overloading your outlets could cause electrical equipment to overheat. Overloading your outlets could also drive up your electric bills unnecessarily.
Be especially careful to avoid overloading outlets when extension cords and power strips are plugged in. Remember that extension cords and power strips will make it so that your outlet is supplying power to more appliances than usual.
Do the math and figure out how many appliances your outlets can support by being aware of voltage and wattage limitations.
5. Not Having Specialists Handle Electric Work and Inspections
Homeowners often make the mistake of hiring a general contractor to handle electric work. Also, some homeowners try to figure out their home's electrical system independently and attempt DIY repairs.
Electrical work in a home can be complex and requires a specialist. A certified and experienced electrician will be able to handle repairs safely. Specialized electricians will not only be able to carry out work safely, but they will also be able to provide valuable efficiency recommendations that help you to reduce your electric and utility bills.
Regular inspections of your electrical system by a qualified electrician can help you to avoid malfunctions and hazards in your home.If you're looking for the right electrician service in the Richmond area, contact us at Family Electric to learn more about the maintenance services we provide for home electrical systems.